Pioneer Greek families began arriving to Phoenix in the early 1900s and founded the first Hellenic Orthodox Church in Arizona in 1930. In 1973, we relocated to the present site of Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Cathedral at 1973 E. Maryland Avenue.
Arizona was not yet the 48th state in 1909 when the first Greeks arrived in the dusty but bustling city of Phoenix, population 11,134. They were two brothers, Charles Sanichas and Chris Sanichas, who came westward from Chicago after immigrating to the United States from Greece in 1907. Soon, each brother opened fruit and confectionary stores in downtown Phoenix.
Over the ensuing years, more Greek-born individuals would arrive in Phoenix and a few other areas of Arizona, establishing families, securing employment, and starting businesses. While those early arrivals maintained all aspects of their culture and Christian religion, they determinedly learned the English language, assimilated into American life, and became industrious and patriotic citizens of their adopted community and nation.
Holy Trinity Cathedral hosts The Hellenic Museum of Phoenix, with vintage photographs of pioneer Greek families as featured in the book, Greeks in Phoenix.
Since its inception, our parish has grown significantly. It continues to strive to bear more effective witness to the Gospel of Jesus Christ, as expressed in the apostolic tradition and worship of the Greek Orthodox Church. We invite you to also participate in this witness by joining the worship and fellowship of our parish.
(back row l to r)
Alexandra (Tsokatos) Anagnopoulos, Gus Theodoropoulos, Helen (Zannis) Katsufrakis, Mary Louise (Gannis) Theodoropoulos, Harry Pappas, Bessie (Theodoropoulos) Hotis
(front row l to r)
Fannie (Gannis) Pappas, Tassie Ladas, Emily (Gannis) Kimmel, Zella Zannis, Helen (Metsopoulos) Moschovitis, Stella (Ladas) Glitsos
Photo: Lily Romano
Copyright © 2020 Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Cathedral Phoenix - All Rights Reserved.